In the interest of promoting scholarly research on all aspects of Middle Eastern studies, the Center for Middle Eastern Studies appoints a small number of Visiting Researchers each academic year. Their work covers a wide range of fields, including anthropology, religion, history, government, political science, economics, and literature. The Visiting Researchers contribute to a lively community at CMES that encourages interdisciplinary contact.
Center affiliation includes full access to Harvard Libraries and many other University facilities. CMES is not able to provide funding or office space for its Visiting Researchers.
To see profiles of the current Visiting Researchers, click here.
- Research must align with the Center’s current research goals through the sponsorship of a CMES faculty member
- VR must be involved in clearly defined research project that draws upon CMES and University resources
- VR is asked to participate actively in Center colloquia and seminars
- VR appointments generally run from September 1 to June 30 of one academic year
- VR is expected to be in residence in the greater Boston area during the period of appointment
- VR is expected to deliver a final report to the Director of CMES detailing the work accomplished during the appointment
- VR is responsible for providing his/her own funding and arranging his/her own living accommodations (frequently, visiting researchers arrange for a living stipend from their home university or from an organization such as Fulbright, IREX, or the Social Science Research Council)
Please note: CMES Visiting Researcher positions are unpaid academic appointments and are made for minimum of three months and a maximum of 12 months. Individuals may hold an appointment for no more than two consecutive years, pending renewal by the CMES Steering Committee. Part-time appointments or non-consecutive appointments for a fraction of a year will ordinarily count as a one-year appointment when determining eligibility for renewal.
Questions? Please email: firstname.lastname@example.org