Thank you for your interest in the CMES Visiting Researcher program.
The application season for the academic year 2017-18 is now open.
How To Apply
Applications are due December 23, 2016
To apply for one of the appointments outlined in Affiliation Distinctions, please submit an application and upload the requisite materials here:
Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
Before you apply, please note:
- CMES visiting researcher positions are unpaid academic appointments and are made for a minimum of three months and a maximum of 12 months.
- Individuals may hold an appointment for no more than two consecutive years, pending renewal by the CMES Steering Committee.
- Part-time appointments or non-consecutive appointments for a fraction of a year will ordinarily count as a one-year appointment when determining eligibility for renewal.
A complete CMES Visiting Researcher application includes:
- Application Form (link above)
- Research proposal
- Written sample of your research
- Two letters of recommendation
Letters of recommendations must be submitted in one of three ways:
- Upload the letters at the link above ("2017-18 CMES Visiting Researcher Application Form")
- Recommender scans the letter as PDF document and emails it to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please put "Visiting Researcher recommendation letter" and applicant's name in the subject line.
- Recommender mails a paper copy to:
Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Harvard University
Attn: Visiting Researcher Coordinator
38 Kirkland Street
Cambridge, MA 02138
Other information about applications and academic appointments:
The submitted application materials are reviewed by the prospective faculty sponsor and, upon her/his initial approval, are circulated to CMES Steering Committee Members for a vote. All applicants must indicate a desired faculty sponsor. Applicants will be contacted with a decision by the end of March.
Academic appointments are not final until they have been approved by the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the Governing Boards of the University. Academic appointments cannot be made for less than three months or for more than one year at a time; an appointment can be renewed by applying for a renewal.