The deadline for applications for the 2021-22 academic year was February 1 and the portal is now closed. Applications for the 2022-23 academic year will be accepted beginning in December 2021.
Before You Apply
- You must contact one of the approved faculty sponsors from this list and secure his/her willingness to sponsor your appointment.
How to Apply
- The deadline for applications for the 2021-22 academic year was February 1 and the portal is now closed. Applications for the 2022-23 academic year will be accepted beginning in December 2021.
- STEP ONE (Important): All applicants need to obtain an XID from the Harvard system: https://carat.fas.harvard.edu/ The XID takes approximately one hour to “activate”; applicants should allow time for this activation step. The link to obtain an XID as a non-Harvard applicant is available on the front page of the CARAT system: https://carat.fas.harvard.edu/. Applicants can complete the application only after an XID is issued to them.
- All application materials should be submitted electronically on CARAT, a Harvard platform for grants and fellowships.
- Incomplete applications will not be reviewed.
- CMES visiting researcher positions are unpaid academic appointments and are made for a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months.
- Individuals may hold an appointment for no more than two consecutive years, pending renewal by the CMES Steering Committee.
- Part-time appointments or non-consecutive appointments for a fraction of a year will ordinarily count as a one-year appointment when determining eligibility for renewal.
A complete CMES Visiting Researcher Application Includes:
- Application Form (link above)
- Research proposal
- Written sample of your research
- Two letters of recommendation
Other Information about Applications and Academic Appointments
The submitted application materials are reviewed by the CMES Steering Committee members. Applicants will be contacted with a decision by the end of March.
Academic appointments are not final until they have been approved by the Dean of the Faculty of Arts and Sciences and the Governing Boards of the University.