The Tunisia Office of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at Harvard University invites Tunisian scholars to submit applications for a postdoctoral fellowship at Harvard University. The call for applications is open to scholars in the Humanities or Social Sciences who have received their PhD within the past seven years. The fellowship extends for 10 months, from September 1, 2017, to June 30, 2018. The successful candidate will reside in the greater Boston area and will be required to teach a one-semester course on the area of specialization, in English or in Arabic. Preference will be given to the most qualified applicant whose research includes Tunisia and North Africa.
Applicants are required to submit the following materials as one PDF document:
- A current curriculum vitae, in English.
- A research proposal (statement of purpose) not to exceed 1500 words, in English.
- A writing sample not to exceed 5000 words that can be in English, Arabic, or French.
- A letter of recommendation written by the candidate’s dissertation advisor, in English, Arabic, or French. This letter should be submitted directly by the recommender via email to firstname.lastname@example.org before May 15, 2017.
All application materials must be submitted electronically to email@example.com before May 15, 2017. Late or incomplete applications will be not considered.
Fellowship Eligibility and Requirements
The following criteria must be met:
- Preference will be given to postdoctoral researchers who are residents and/or citizens of Tunisia or postdoctoral researchers who are studying topics related to Tunisia.
- Doctoral qualification should have been obtained in one of the following disciplines: Arts, Humanities, Social Sciences, or Political Sciences, with preference given to those whose credentials are from a Tunisian university.
- Postdoctoral fellow is required to teach a one-semester course in English or in Arabic. Priority will be given to candidates with a research interest in Tunisia and North Africa.
Applications will be evaluated by a CMES committee based on the relevance and the quality of the research proposals and the applicants’ language proficiency for teaching in either English or Arabic. The successful applicant will be notified by June 1, 2017.
Terms of Fellowship
The 10-month salary for this position will range from $47,500 to $56,000 and should cover the successful applicant’s accommodation, food, and visa fees. A round trip economy class ticket from Tunis to Boston will be issued in addition to the stipend. It is estimated that the successful applicant will spend 30 hours per week on research and 5 hours per week on teaching and advising students. The fellow will work with the Director of CMES on the course design and matters pertaining to research.
Harvard University is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.