A partnership of international study centers on Harvard's campus, this online reading series for K-12 educators explores literature from five global regions: Africa, Asia, Latin America, Russia /Eurasia, the Middle East, and the Muslim world. Workshop participants have the opportunity to discuss works of global literature with scholars and authors in live, online conversations.
2014–15 Book Group
The four books for the 2014–15 Global Literature Online Book Group beginning in January 2015 are A Constellation of Vital Phenomena, The Sound of Things Falling, Brooklyn Heights, and Sea of Poppies. For more information about the program and the books, please see the Global Literature Online Book Group page on the Global Studies Outreach website.
Registration for Sea of Poppies by Amitav Ghosh will be opening in the fall. The discussion will be Thursday, November 5, 2015.
Recordings of past sessions
These recordings will launch through Flash as an AdobeConnect recording and may take a minute to load.
- Brooklyn Heights with Professor Benjamin Smith
- Sweetness in the Belly with author Camilla Gibb and Professor William Granara.
- In the Time of the Butterflies with author Julia Alvarez and Professor Glenda Carpio. (Audio recording)
- Kamikaze Girls with Professor Tomiko Yoda
- The Bamboo Grove: An Introduction to Sijo with Professor David R. McCannh
- The Accompanist with Professor Julie Buckler
- Purple Hibiscus with Professor Akua Sarr and Kristen Roupenian
This program is co-sponsored by the Harvard Center for African Studies, Davis Center for Russian and Eurasian Studies at Harvard, David Rockefeller Center for Latin American Studies, Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal Islamic Studies Program at Harvard, Harvard Center for Middle Eastern Studies, Global Health Education and Learning Incubator at Harvard University, Harvard University Asia Center, Harvard University South Asia Institute.